NATIONAL SERVICE SCHEME
National Service Scheme, under the Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports Govt. of India, popularly known as NSS was launched on Mahatma Gandhi ji Birth Centenary Year 1969, in 37 Universities involving 40,000 students with primary focus on the development of personality of students through community service. Today, NSS has more than 3.2 million student volunteers on its roll spread over 298 Universities and 42 (+2) Senior Secondary Councils and Directorate of Vocational Education all over the country.
AIM: Developing student’s personality through community service, NSS is a voluntary association of young people in Colleges, Universities and at +2 level
Motto: Not me, But you
Incentives to NSS Volunteers
- After completion of regular activity and one camp successfully students get 10 marks benefit.
- NSS Volunteers receive Certificate from the Department of Student Welfare, SNDT Women’s University.
- Preference in Public Service Commission is given to the students if they have a certificate for 2 years of service in NSS and certificate of participation in Special Camp.
- Selected students are also given the “Best Volunteer” award at District level/University level and State level. Volunteers may get chance in participation in State / National Republic-Day Parade.
How to Get Registered
- Take the registration form from NSS Program officer
- One NSS Diary and Badge will issued to you after registration.
- As and when the activities will be scheduled you will be informed to the members
Sir Vithaldas Thackersey College of Home Science (Autonomous), SNDTWU, Mumbai has NSS unit comprising of 300 students. The College had adopted Chinchini Village , Palghar District, Maharashtra for the last 5 years (2014-2019) and has accomplished a number of milestones making difference in the Health and Nutrition awareness of adolescent girls, Pregnant women, Vocational Training to women and Visibility of the major Occupation of Dye Makers through a website designed and hosted by the college for the Dye Makers of the village. This website helped them gain occupational reach and better opportunities of work.
The College has now initiated its work in DEDHALE VILLAGE (District- Palghar) from 2019-2020 onwards. The focus in this community will be school going children, adolescent girls and adult women. The college undertook a special camp this year with NSS volunteers and conducted many programs and activities for these groups. A detailed plan of activities is underway to do need assessment of these groups and plan activities in a phased manner for desired outcomes in the next few years.
Please go through the attached presentation for more details for the year 2019-2020.
Dr. Sulakshana Mane – NSS Chairperson, Program officer, Department of Food, Nutrition and Dietetics
Ms. Anju Tulshyan- NSS Co-Chairperson Member, Department of Textiles and Apparel Designing
Ms. Chetna Raje – NSS Member, Department of Resource Management
Dr. Amar M. Dhere – NSS Member. Department of Science
Ms. Shilpa Sawalakhe – NSS Member, Department of Human Development
Dr. Rohit Pawar – NSS Member, Department of Mass Communication & Extension
Ms. Sangeeta Chhowala – NSS Member, Department of English